An Allegory


As the clock strikes 8:27, and I write my fifth first sentence, the striking of the clock pulls the memory from my head...

I'm on the home stretch, the storm dances all around me, daunting, devouring, distressing. The crackling of the thunder was synonymous with the cracking of my hopes and dreams. This storm had been forecast for months, and in fact, this same storm came about exactly once every other Thursday. But as the winds whip all around me, the rain and thunder seem to make time itself collapse. It feels as though if I don't hurry, the storm will beat me in only 26 minutes. Twenty-five now, I better hurry.

Caught in this storm as I am, metal pole in the air, my boots are thick with rubber souls. There is hope. If I can only make it another two more miles, so to speak, I may make it out. 21 minutes left now. There is no turning back, no trying again, no going home. The only direction is forward from here, and all that is left is to hope that my peers are there to lift me up. The storm bringer herself may even approve of my escape, if I am lucky.

I run ever harder, wondering how I let myself get caught in the wind, and the rain, and the thunder and lightning once again? Perhaps it was all the other dark clouds, that blurred my foresight of this inevitable storm. Twelve minutes left, am I almost there? I really don't know anymore, have I made it? I fear another storm awaits me tomorrow, a more physical one, and I'm running out of time to linger on this one. I scarcely feel the raindrops anymore, and home appears to be in sight. With only six minutes before my doom, have I made it out?

Here I sit in the present now. The clock reads 8:58, and I can't recall whether I made it through that storm or not, I guess time will tell.

-Michael

Comments

  1. This post took me on quite the journey. I wasn't sure if you were going to make it, but you did! Good luck on any upcoming storms you may have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really quality post. I like the allegorical reference using storms. It certainly makes life a lot more interesting to take challenges out of perspective. I wish you luck on your physical and mental journeys in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I've never read a blog post about a live-action making of a blog post before. Your writing is always really interesting to read and even though you're describing a blog post (something consistently not physically dangerous) I feel tense reading this because I can feel the time pressure building up. I think you made it through the storm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was soooooo confused at first but then I realized that you were writing about writing a blog post! I found this post clever and original. I think that the storm allegory worked really well, and can be used to describe lots of challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I wrote this entire blog using (mostly) only words that start with 'a'

An in Depth Criticism of Modern Society Using Gibberish

The Truth